I am currently working in the U.S on a H2B visa but I want to stay a couple of weeks longer than what my visa allows. I have a current valid ESTA, can I just stay in the country or must I leave the country first? For example, I fly from my location here in San Francisco to Mexico and then fly to Texas (my destination).

  • Leaving and entering almost certainly works. You can also apply to USCIS to change your nonimmigrant status without leaving the country. The cost of doing this IIRC is fairly high. – phoog Nov 8 '15 at 5:32
  • 1
    Are the "couple of weeks" for continuing your work? Is it the H-2B visa or your immigration status that expires, or both? – hmakholm left over Monica Nov 8 '15 at 22:12
  • 1
    @CGCampbell: A visa has nothing to do with permission to stay in the US. A visa is only for entry. It's the status and duration of the I-94 that determines ability to stay in the US. – user102008 Nov 11 '15 at 23:54