At some security checkpoints around New York there is a kind of barrier whose name I'm interested in learning. I've attached two images.

The barrier is a sheet of metal raised a foot or two on one side. If a vehicle is approved to enter, the sheet of metal can be lowered to be flush with the street. (Prior research: I've tried extensive search-engine searches with text and these images. I'm not sure if there's a better SE forum to post on, but Travel seems the closest.)

What is this called?

enter image description here enter image description here


What you are looking at is often referred to as a hydraulic road blocker, or an anti-ram barrier. These are somewhat like an extension of the concept one-way plates in that their purpose is similar: they both aim at blocking traffic.

  • Yes- and note only the right image shows the "oncoming" view.
    – tedder42
    Nov 12 '15 at 20:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.