At some security checkpoints around New York there is a kind of barrier whose name I'm interested in learning. I've attached two images.

The barrier is a sheet of metal raised a foot or two on one side. If a vehicle is approved to enter, the sheet of metal can be lowered to be flush with the street. (Prior research: I've tried extensive search-engine searches with text and these images. I'm not sure if there's a better SE forum to post on, but Travel seems the closest.)

What is this called?

enter image description here enter image description here

1 Answer 1


What you are looking at is often referred to as a hydraulic road blocker, or an anti-ram barrier. These are somewhat like an extension of the concept one-way plates in that their purpose is similar: they both aim at blocking traffic.

  • Yes- and note only the right image shows the "oncoming" view. Nov 12, 2015 at 20:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .