I'm travelling to the USA to present a paper at a conference. Prior to that I'll be attending another workshop and afterwards I'll be doing some work with a collaborator before returning back to India. So I definitely need the B1 visa.

However, I'll be visiting my relatives (aunt, uncle) for 2 days prior to all of this and I'll be staying with them while attending the workshop (they live close by).

Do I need to also apply for the B2 (with it's additional document requirements, etc.), or is a B1 enough for my purposes?

  • Most people get B1/B2 visas anyway. And given the nature of your itinerary, it would improve your chances of getting the visa to apply for it and provide the additional information. – Michael Hampton Nov 4 '15 at 0:13
  • Alright then. It now appears that I'll be spending more time with relatives, so I think I will do just that. Thanks for your reply. – William K. Moses Jr. Nov 5 '15 at 5:12

Getting a B1/B2 would easily cover both your needs and makes more sense in your case. Supplying more information would also improve your chances of getting that visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.