I hold an Indian passport and since I have a day layover in Amsterdam I wanted to apply for a transit visa. Is this possible?

  • You don't need a transit visa if you are transiting through AMS only (and if you are traveling to the US); but otherwise you'll need a transit visa even if you do not leave the airport. Oct 25 '15 at 6:53

You can obviously apply for a visa but there is no specific easier-to-get “transit” visa that would allow you to do that.

If you need or want to leave the transit lounge of the airport, you need a regular Schengen visa, with all the same costs and requirements as if you would come for a short touristic stay or any other short-term visit. And you must apply for that visa a few weeks in advance, from your usual place of residence. There are some very limited exceptions but it's generally impossible to get one at the airport or on the road.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.