Chile has VWP, yet I still have the regular tourist visa stamp on my passport and must enter the USA with it. If I leave the country (USA) for a few days to go to Canada and then return, does a new 90-day stay period start running upon re-entry or is it also considered a temporary leave as with the VWP?

  • @hippietrail It's a little more complicated since B2 Visa is still stamped in the passport. – Karlson Sep 19 '15 at 15:22

When entering the US on a B1/B2 visa you will not be given the same 90 days entry as for a VWP. The exact time you're giving will depend on the circumstances and the border official, but in general for a B1/B2 you are likely to be granted 180 days entry to the US.

If you leave to Canada and re-enter, then the border agent has the choice of either granting a new 180 day stay, or continuing your previous stay using a process called "Automatic Revalidation". Presuming your US visa is still valid then they could do either of these. If your US visa happened to expire before your re-entry then they will go the Automatic Revalidation path as that allows you to re-enter even with an expired visa.

Either way, presuming you are granted the standard 180 day entry, you will not be subject to any form of 90 day limit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.