I am travelling to France for 2 days in October and then I would be back in the UK. Later in November I would be travelling to Spain for 4 days. Is it possible for me to apply for a Schengen visa at the French embassy, despite that:

  • There is a 25 day gap between my two trips

  • The duration of stay in France is less than the duration of stay in Spain

Would the French embassy consider granting me a multi-entry visa for such an itinerary?

  • French embassy will likely only issue you a visa for France. But can you make a question into a question?
    – Karlson
    Commented Sep 10, 2015 at 20:12
  • Do you mean France will issue visa only for 2 days even if I provide my itinerary of my Spain trip? Commented Sep 11, 2015 at 21:40
  • 2
    That's exactly what I mean. The max stay may not be 2 days but it is unlikely to give you a multi entry visa given that your second trip is to Spain.
    – Karlson
    Commented Sep 11, 2015 at 21:55
  • @Karlson that comment should be an answer.
    – user4188
    Commented Jun 15, 2016 at 18:14
  • @chx I can't make it an answer since I have nothing to bavk it up.
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 15, 2016 at 18:20

1 Answer 1


Generally speaking, that's not how it's supposed to work and there are many reasons why each consulate might want to avoid giving a visa for the other trip you are planning, see Visiting two Schengen countries, coming back home in between, do I apply for single-entry or multiple-entry visa? and Applying for a Schengen visa when there is a gap between trips to main destination and country of entry for more details.

That said, as a UK resident, you might get lucky. I have heard about some folks who got a one-year multiple-entry visa the first time around without even asking for it or planning another trip. It does make sense: Someone who resides in the UK has made it through the rather arduous process of getting a UK visa, can have many opportunities to go mainland Europe but little incentive to stay there and earn money illegally. All this makes you a low-risk applicant and the consulate could save everybody some effort/money by giving you a multiple entry visa.

Finally note that there is a third type of visa that would seem to fit your itinerary, namely the two-entry visa. In many respects it's closer to a single-entry visa than to a multiple-entry visa. It was intended to make it possible for foreign tourists (but not necessarily residents) to add a stay in British isles in the middle of a tour of Europe without having to worry about requesting two visas on the road.

  • The almost always give a multiple entry visa. However, the it could be limited to just to travel dates provided by the OP.
    – user58558
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 13:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .