My wife is from India and I am German. We both live in Germany and she has a German residence permit through our marriage. We both plan to visit UK. Does she need a visa to visit UK?

  • Would you be travelling to the UK together, or would she be going there on her own?
    – Gagravarr
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:16
  • We would like to go together.
    – stutter
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:18
  • 7
    Yes she does. We have an answer already prepared for you. You can read it here travel.stackexchange.com/questions/52069/…
    – Gayot Fow
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:18
  • When i apply for standard Visa do i need to pay the Fee?
    – stutter
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:20
  • The UK Visitor (Standard) attracts a fee from all applicants; the family permit is free
    – Gayot Fow
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:22

Yes, she almost certainly needs a visa. The main exception is for people who hold a residence card as “family member of an EU citizen” (in German “Aufenthaltskarte für Familienangehörige eines Unionsbürgers”) but that wouldn't typically be the case of the spouse of a German citizen in Germany.

Other German residence permit holders fall under the regular rules based on their citizenship, which for an Indian citizen, means that a visa is required to enter the UK.

But since you would be travelling together, she would be covered by your right to free movement as an EU citizen and she could apply for an EEA family permit instead of a Standard Visitor visa. The family permit has simpler requirements and is free of charge but was unfortunately very long to obtain in the past (not sure about the current status of all this).

  • her residence permit is aufenthaltserlaubnis §28 abs 1 Nr 1
    – stutter
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:30
  • @stutter Yes, that makes sense, it means that your wife does need a visa. The residence card I mentioned is defined in another statute, § 5 Abs. 1 Freizügigkeitsgesetz/EU.
    – Relaxed
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:34
  • so are there different resident cards being given out in germany?
    – stutter
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:44
  • @stutter And in all other EU countries as well, because EU rules do not apply to EU citizens in their own country. Incidentally, everything else is called a “permit” (“Erlaubnis”), only the residence title for family members of EU citizens is called an “Aufenthaltskarte”.
    – Relaxed
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:48
  • Thanks for all the information. That was really helpful @relaxed
    – stutter
    Sep 3 '15 at 22:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.