I am going to the US on a B-1 visa to attend a conference. On the DS-160 form, it is asking for a US SSN (Social Security Number) and TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number).

Previously, I was an international student who graduated and did my OPT (Optional Practical Training) for one year. I was given an SSN for that work authorization.

Will this SSN still be valid or should I leave that as "not applicable" because it was tied to that OPT?


Your SSN remains valid and you should enter the same one - they probably just use it to cross-check your history.

In fact, there are only a few circumstances in which you can apply to get a new number if you already have one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.