Vianavigo is a journey planner for public transportation in Paris and Ile de France. It includes regional trains and even local buses. Enter the departure and arrival points : it will provide you with routes and schedules. On the STIF network, which gather public transportations in the Ile de France, prices do not change even if you buy your ticket 30 seconds before getting on board !
Using this network, you can go to different towns :
- Fontainebleau : there is a castle there and the small town is surrounded by a forest. Lots of horses a few miles from the castle.
- Chantilly : there is a castle there and the small town is surrounded by a forest. Lots of horses near the castle.
- Versailles : there is a well-known castle there and a large park with fountains.
- Saint Germain en Laye : there is a castle there and a forest behind it.
- Rambouillet : guess what ?
If you wish to go further, the national train network is the SNCF. You can plan your trip and buy your tickets at http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ . Specifying the right station in Paris is not required : the interface will find it for you. Prices are time-dependent : if you plan your trip months in advance, you can get cheap tickets called "prem's". In France, there is a really efficient network of high speed trains. Hence, within 2 hours, you can go to Lille, Bruxelles (in Belgium) or Luxembourg (in Luxembourg).
Do not be worried if the regional train is operated by the SNCF : it is usual on most lines.
Welcome to France !