My partner has an Indian passport with a permanent residence card in the UK.

Does he need a visa to travel to the Netherlands?

  • What is your nationality? Are you married? Aug 5, 2015 at 17:46
  • my nationality is Dutch and we are legally married. he had for 5 years an residence card of a family member of an EEA national.
    – Singh
    Aug 5, 2015 at 17:58
  • He is traveling on his own, and this permanent residence card is issued last year in Liverpool by the UK border agency (immigration department).
    – Singh
    Aug 5, 2015 at 18:14
  • He will need a visa in that case.
    – Gayot Fow
    Aug 5, 2015 at 19:29

1 Answer 1


If you are not joining or accompanying your partner, then they have no access to the freedom of movement provisions.

A UK permanent residence visa (I assume you mean ILR) is not recognized as a valid instrument for Schengen because the UK does not provide reciprocity.

So yes, your partner will need a Schengen visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.