I am going back to India from Auckland, I wish to make a halt of 72 hours to visit my cousin at Sydney. I don't have any visa for Australia. What is required for this stop over?


You need to apply for a transit visa (my emphasis):

The Transit visa (subclass 771) lets you transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours if either:

  • you need to pass through Australia on your way to another country or
  • you need to pass through Australia to join a ship as a member of the crew.

You can include dependent children on your visa application if they are travelling with you on your passport.

You can find out all the information at this website of the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

| improve this answer | |
  • For a 72 hour visit, is that still a transit visa, or is that a normal visitors visa? – Gagravarr Aug 3 '15 at 9:58
  • The transit visa is for upto 72 hours. – Burhan Khalid Aug 3 '15 at 9:58
  • 1
    Objectively, the law means the transit time being 72:00 you need a transit visa, and for 72:01 and above you need a regular visa. This implies that if it says on your ticket that your flight is going to arrive on Tuesday at 13:00 and the next one will depart on Friday at exactly 13:00, you can apply for a transit visa, but not anymore if the flight departure is stated to be at 13:01. How they would apply the rules at the border control is a completely different question. – downhand Aug 3 '15 at 11:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.