I am approaching the end of my second stay of my dual-entry visa in China.

I am in Guangzhou and aware that another option is to pop over to Hong Kong and apply for a new Chinese visa there.

But HK is pricey when you're a on a shoestring hitchhiker's budget with a bank balance getting low. And in any case I would like to know ...

How long does it take to apply for and obtain a plain 30-day extension to a plain tourist visa (type L) here in Guangzhou?

From reading various information on the internet the process has quite a lot of variation around China with Tibet being almost impossible, Beijing being very difficult and demanding, and some small towns being extremely simple.

Yet no threads I can find have information about Guangzhou specifically. Does anyone have experience extending a visa here in the past year or so?

(Yes I have a Temporary Residence Registration Form (临时住宿登记) from my hostel.)


1 Answer 1


It takes 7 working days, so normally 9 days due to weekends.

It costs ¥160 CNY. The passport photo needed is special, with a blue background. You can get a set for ¥33 CNY in the building.

Applying with only one day left of your current visit is not a problem!

The office is very efficient, and waiting times are short, despite the large number of people.

You are given an official receipt which includes a copy of the important parts of your passport which I'm told will be acceptable as a travel document in the meantime. A friend here from Russia used this to board a flight once so it should also work for checking in to hotels etc.


The Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Administration Division, located at 155 Jiefang South Road (解放南路155号) +86 20 8311-5808 (M-F 8:50AM–11:30AM, 2:30PM-5PM.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.