I live in Ireland with a recently expired Italian passport and valid South African passport. I want to visit the UK and wonder if

  1. the expired passport is proof of EU citizenship
  2. I could get a free visa on my SA passport (as with EU family members)?
  • Have you got a permanent residence card or certificate from Ireland? If so, just use that. And of course you should renew your Italian passport (and keep the old one). Jul 31, 2015 at 16:19
  • why you don't renew your Italian passport? it's the easier thing to do. Depending on your AIRE status you can also get an Italian ID Card that will allow you to enter UK Aug 1, 2015 at 4:28
  • Thanks guys. I submitted my renewal application to the Italian consul a month ago but they can't confirm if it will be ready in time for my trip. I would like an ID card, but thought I have to be residing in Italy to be eligible.
    – Pastabok
    Aug 2, 2015 at 16:38
  • @Pastabok did it work? What did you end up using? Perhaps you could put it as an answer.
    – Mark Mayo
    Aug 20, 2015 at 9:08

1 Answer 1


Assuming that you are currently inside the Common Travel Area, your question is based solely on whether or not you get randomly picked for a challenge. It's not very often that happens.

In the case that it does happen, your Italian passport will work as proof as long as the photo reasonably looks like you and your personal details dovetail with your other forms of ID such as driving permit, birth certificate or whatever else you can offer.

It's reasonable to expect that they are not going to be altogether happy about your travelling on an expired passport so you should pad in some extra time for them to land you in the UK.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .