I plan to travel from the U.S. to Greece. I have my refugee travel document but my green card application is still being processed. I have all the paperwork but I'm still waiting to be officially given the green card. My question is will I still be able to get the Schengen visa without the green card? I have my U.S. work permit and everything else. Please advise! There is a requirement to have a green card to get a visa through Greece http://www.mfa.gr/usa/en/services/services-for-non-greeks/visa-section.html

  • Probably. There's no requirement for a refugee to have a green card before getting a Schengen visa. But the only way to know for sure is to apply and see what happens.
    – phoog
    Jul 27 '15 at 17:30
  • great! yeah i called the greek embassy but got two different answers. one saying as long as he has the paperwork for the green card it's fine, but then another person said maybe not.oh and the visa requirement does say to have a green card. it's quite confusing
    – brogs885
    Jul 27 '15 at 17:35
  • Can you edit your question to include a link supporting the green card requirement?
    – phoog
    Jul 27 '15 at 18:41
  • You have misunderstood. The requirement to have "a valid Alien Resident Card or a visa to the U.S. (except for B1/B2)" is for you to be able to apply for a visa at a Greek consulate in the United States. If you were in Melbourne, the analogous requirement would be to have "proof of your visa status in Australia (visa label on your passport or e-mail notification from VEVO directly sent to the e-mail of the consular mission)." Anyway, if you read the US requirement closely, you'll see that other visa types are allowed; any proof of your current legal status in the US should suffice.
    – phoog
    Jul 28 '15 at 1:01
  • The I-571 is sufficient to prove legal status in the US. You don't need the green card for that. Jul 28 '15 at 3:54

While the Green Card would be great but the page you linked actually states:

  1. A valid Alien Resident Card or a visa to the U.S. (except for B1/B2).

Basically you will have a sufficient proof that you reside in the United States so that consulate has reasonable expectation that you're applying in the appropriate location.

Work Permit will likely be sufficient to prove residency in the US.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.