Do I need any types of visas to travel from USA to New Zealand via Australia? I am a US citizen.

  • 1
    It depends on your citizenship, are you a US citizen?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jul 25, 2015 at 16:05
  • 1
    @Relaxed: The title seems to imply so :-) I edited it into the body as well. Commented Jul 25, 2015 at 16:09
  • 1
    @NateEldredge Indeed. It's the second time today I miss a detail that's in the title of the question :-(
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jul 25, 2015 at 16:18
  • Yankee go ... er ... I mean, welcome :-). I assume somebody here knows but if not and web is mute (unlikely) advise and I can check locally. I'd assume NZ immigration website is very clear on this. Commented Jul 25, 2015 at 16:26
  • 1
    It probably depends on the purpose of your travel. If you are traveling for an uncommon purpose, please advise.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 25, 2015 at 17:57

1 Answer 1


Australia has a kind of quasi-visa very much like the US own ESTA, called Electronic Travel Authority. US citizens have to apply online in advance and pay a fee if they want to enter the country, even for a short visit.

But if you are only transiting through an Australian airport, don't need to leave the transit lounge and will leave within 8 hours of landing, you do not need a visa.

US citizens (and nationals) do not need a visa for a visit of up to 90 days in New Zealand.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .