I'm holding a double-entry 30 day tourist visa for Russia which I obtained as a tourist in Japan through the consulate in Osaka. I'm planning to enter Russia, then Mongolia and Russia a 2nd time before going into Kazakhstan.

The 30 days may not be enough to finish the trip and I'm trying to find out if it's possible for me to obtain a 2nd tourist visa from the embassy in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

I know that visas are always issued on an individual basis but was wondering if anyone has experience with it or if there is a rule that forbids it in general. I may need to let my 1st visa be invalidated if it's still running, I assume.

  • Why do you believe it's a problem? Have you tried applying for a Russian visa? What exactly is your alternative? And lastly what is your citizenship?
    – Karlson
    Jul 11 '15 at 2:37
  • As the 1st sentence says, I do have a visa right now, I'm German, the alternative is hoping I can make it in 30 days, I believe it could be a problem because some countries do not allow people to enter right again after they outstayed a visa.
    – user640916
    Jul 11 '15 at 2:49

You have a problem. According to the page on the Russian Embassy in Ulaanbaatar in order for you to obtain a Russian visa there:

To apply for any category of visas except transit, one must have a long-term registration in Mongolia (“Alien registration card” valid for 1 year).

There are exceptions in the following 2 paragraphs for various countries that do not require to have a registration but Germany unfortunately isn't one of them.

So yes you may be able to obtain another visa following the one you already have just not in Mongolia.

  • Thank you, as it says I can get a transit visa which is valid for 10 days. That would be enough for me.
    – user640916
    Jul 11 '15 at 12:27
  • 1
    Conclusion: I was able to obtain transit visas directly from the embassy without problems in Mongolia as well as in Kazakhstan.
    – user640916
    Sep 22 '15 at 18:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.