I am a temporary resident living in Canada under a study permit visa. But due to a mistake on the visa, I must send it to Ottawa to get it fixed. That process takes a while. In the meantime, I have to travel to Europe and I am worried about coming back to Canada while the visa is still in Ottawa being processed because I don't know if they will allow me to enter as a student anymore. I am planning to bring a copy of the study permit, but still don't know.

I've been looking for similar questions and it seems like entering as a tourist is not a good solution.

  • I'm not sure I understand, you're worried about coming back with the amended visa in your passport ?
    – blackbird
    Jul 9, 2015 at 17:11
  • 1
    How can you travel to Europe if your passport is in Ottawa ? Do you have dual citizenship ?
    – blackbird
    Jul 9, 2015 at 18:00
  • 1
    I only need to send the visa and they'll fix it. I have my passport with me. I have Spanish citizenship. Jul 9, 2015 at 18:01
  • 2
    How serious is the visa mistake? Presumably bit got you into Canada the first time. Can you delay getting the visa fixed until after your Europe trip? Jul 9, 2015 at 18:22
  • 4
    Did you ask the office in Ottawa? Presumably they'll be able to tell you whether it is possible for you to travel out of the country while they have your visa, and, if so, what the procedure would be.
    – phoog
    Jul 9, 2015 at 18:22

1 Answer 1


Well, after a couple of calls to the CIC Call Center (+1-888-242-2100), all I need is a photocopy of my current study permit and a photocopy of the application form that I'm using to get it fixed. I might have interesting times at the the customs, but apparently it will be OK.

The important point here is that regardless of whether I physically have the study permit with me or not, I still have a legal status in Canada.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .