My son cut two pages from my passport.

Will it be a problem if I apply for any visa and my passport has lost two pages?

Can I get refused for that reason?

It doesn't appear on it that any papers are lost.

Should I get a new one?

I will go to the embassy in two days and I don't have enough time!

  • 2
    What do you mean by “two papers”? Ripping apart two pages? A small cut on two pages?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jul 8, 2015 at 15:40
  • 20
    By any strange coincidence would these be the pages containing a fraudulent application history your other question is about? Just asking...
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Jul 8, 2015 at 16:08
  • 1
    @pnuts interesting, my older US passports (from the 70s) had that, but not the newer ones. But these perforations wouldn't help identify missing pages, would they?
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 8, 2015 at 19:34
  • 1
    @pnuts there are page numbers shown here: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306018/…; do you have a different model? Also: prado.consilium.europa.eu/en/8365/docHome.html#docelement7
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 8, 2015 at 20:08
  • 1
    @GayotFow even if the pages were removed as you describe, examination of the page numbers would reveal that the pages were removed.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 8, 2015 at 20:10

1 Answer 1


Most countries will consider a damaged passport invalid and require it to be replaced.

For instance, the United States says:

If your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for a new passport. Conditions that may constitute damage requiring you to replace your passport include water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch, or other injuries.

You will need to obtain a replacement passport.

But if there are still valid visas in your existing passport, you should keep it, and contact the consulates of those countries for further information after you obtain the new passport, as your old visas may still be valid even in the damaged passport, or they may require you to transfer them to the new passport.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .