We shall be driving from Germany, through Switzerland to Italy. We may spend a night in Switzerland. I have a Schengen Visa (South African Passport)

  • It is unfortunate for questions like these that comments must have a minimum of 15 characters. The answer is "nothing." – phoog Jun 25 '15 at 18:52
  • Hotels are much more expensive in Switzerland. I would suggest staying just on the non-Swiss side of the border. (The border itself is essentially un-patrolled, because of the Schengen agreement.) – Andrew Lazarus Jul 12 '15 at 16:41

You don't require any additional visa, as Switzerland is a schengen country itself - while not a member of the EU, it is a part of Schengen (and several other EU-related agreements).

If you wish to drive on a motorway/autoroute however, you will need a pass/sticker affixed to your car, called a Vignette. This can apparently be bought either online or at a border crossing.


Switzerland is member of the Schengen area. So you don't need any extra visa to enter Switzerland.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.