I am an Indian passport holder having a Schengen student visa, I have a layover of 22 hours at Istanbul airport on my flight back to Mumbai from Leipzig, Germany.

I want to know if I need a transit visa if I wish to go sightseeing in Istanbul for those 22 hours. If I need one, then is it a different visa for transit or the same as a normal e-visa? Will I be able to travel on my Schengen visa? I am travelling with Turkish airlines.

  • 2
    Shenzhen is a city in China. The town in Europe after which the common visa agreement is named is "Schengen". The pronunciation is different, too. Further, you must have a student visa from a Schengen country. Thereis no such thing as a Schengen student visa. – phoog Jun 23 '15 at 16:21
  • Thanks for the correction, i would appreciate if you could help me with my query ignoring the spelling mistake & the pronunciation – ronak Jun 23 '15 at 16:59
  • unfortunately I do not know anything about Turkish visa rules for Indian citizens. I suspect that if you search online with "German visa" rather than "Shenzhen visa" you will be more likely to find the information you need. – phoog Jun 23 '15 at 17:03
  • 3
    @Karlson the country of transit is Turkey, not a Schengen country. – phoog Jun 23 '15 at 17:10
  • 1
    @ronak Beyond the spelling mistakes, you need to specify what visa you have because “student Schengen visa” is ambiguous and the answer you got might be wrong. What does it say on the visa sticker? How long are you studies? If it's more then three months, what you have got isn't a Schengen (“uniform”) visa but a national visa. Not sure if it makes a difference as far as Turkey is concerned but it's entirely different type of visa. – Relaxed Jun 23 '15 at 17:15

So, yes it would seem you do need a visa if you want to leave the airport even if you have a valid Schengen visa. This is the relevant portion from the link for Indian citizens,

Ordinary, Special and Service passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. Ordinary, Special and Service passport holders with a valid Schengen or OECD member's visa or residence permit may get their single entry e-Visas valid for one month via the website www.evisa.gov.tr, provided that they meet certain conditions.


  • 1
    +1 for the quote but in all likelihood, what the OP has isn't really a Schengen visa but a German long-stay visa. It should still be OK, though, as it's an OECD member's visa. It also means he can get an e-visa (basically a cheap electronic authorisation somewhat akin to the US ESTA) rather than a real visa. – Relaxed Jun 23 '15 at 17:18
  • Yeah, I wasn't sure what OECD was but I know a Schengen visa. Another thing learned today. – chromozonex Jun 23 '15 at 17:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.