I am an Algerian national and I have been granted a Norway Schengen entry visa (single entry) valid for one month only because I will be getting a student residence permit once I'm in Norway.

The issue is that I am traveling from Algeria to Germany (stopover) and then to Norway on the same day (Lufthansa). Do I need a transit visa when I enter Germany?

My visa indicates that it is only for Norway (first line in the visa).


NON-DUPLICATE Explanation: My visa is valid only for Norway. It is not for the whole Schengen area. If it was for the whole Schengen are, then I would not need a transit visa because I already did it.

  • 4
    Supposedly you don't need a transit visa for Germany if you hold a valid visa for any other Schengen member state, regardless of its territorial validity. But I haven't yet located the official proof of this. Jun 20, 2015 at 21:49
  • 2
    Unless I missed something, the "duplicate" doesn't seem to cover limited territorial validity visas, and so isn't really a duplicate. If I did miss something, please clarify it for all of us. Jun 21, 2015 at 1:15
  • 1
    One more point, if you do stay at the airport when in Germany, would you ever need a visa? I don't think so. But it's something to double check.
    – Adriano
    Jun 21, 2015 at 3:10
  • 1
    Did you ask at the German consulate?
    – phoog
    Jun 22, 2015 at 5:31
  • 1
    @AdrienBe Yes, because the OP needs to enter the Schengen area there.
    – Relaxed
    Jun 22, 2015 at 20:49

1 Answer 1


If your visa is really only valid for Norway, then you do need another visa to go through Germany (and it needs to be a regular Schengen visa or possibly a special German visa but not merely an “airport transit visa” because you need to be able to enter the Schengen area in Germany). If you had such a visa, it would actually be more likely that you would be forced to avoid transiting in Germany completely because they are intended for people who are not eligible for a regular uniform visa.

But I am not convinced that this is actually the case of your visa. My understanding is that a “type D” visa is always a long-stay visa that covers the rest of the Schengen area, at least for transit. Some do say so explicitly on the sticker (with mentions like “Italia + STATI Schengen” or “France + 1 transit Schengen”), some don't and most would be valid for longer than three months (let alone one) but it could still be the case even if it only says “Norway” and “1 month”.

So I suspect your visa isn't actually restricted to Norway and I would first try to ascertain this by contacting the Norwegian and/or German consulates.

  • Tanks or your reply. In fact, I called the Norwegian embassy today and the answer of the representative was just: "Of course you can have a stopover, you have a visa to another Schengen country". I might check with the German embassy as well. This is because an Indian friend faced this issue and is planning to have his stopover outside of the Schengen country.
    – MoeAmine
    Jun 23, 2015 at 10:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .