I know that carrying it in my bag or wallet or whatever is a bad idea, but placing it on a credit card would raise questions to authorities as it was old peoples' inheritance from "under the bed."

I would be traveling from Latvia to Sweden, Norway and Netherlands, and the currency is Euros.

I'm not trying to evade taxes - it's money saved up throughout a few decades and not by me. I simply inherited it.

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's a question about evading taxes and other regulations.
    – Relaxed
    Jun 18, 2015 at 10:19
  • 4
    You do realise that in many places, large sums of money have to be declared anyway? E.g. ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_controls/…
    – Relaxed
    Jun 18, 2015 at 10:20
  • 3
    Where from and to? Because that effects regulations that may apply - and in what currency? Also, as credit cards are a way of borrowing money, would be odd to "put money on them" I don't see any part of the question requesting that appropriate procedures are evaded, so don't agree it needs closing.
    – CMaster
    Jun 18, 2015 at 10:21
  • 3
    @Relaxed Those regulations are for entering or leaving the EU, and do not apply for travel within the EU. Norway, however, requires declaring sums exceeding NOK 25,000 (under EUR 3000): toll.no/en/international/english/travelling-to-and-from-norway/… Jun 18, 2015 at 10:42
  • 2
    Unless it's changed in the last two years, Deloitte & Touche (huge US accounting firm) says there's no inheritance tax in Latvia.
    – mkennedy
    Jun 18, 2015 at 18:40

3 Answers 3


There's at least two separate facets to consider here.

Legally, you're in the clear. Restrictions covering traveling within the EU and travel to/from from the EU only require you to declare amounts exceeding EUR 10,000.

Norway, however, being outside the EU, requires you to declare amounts over NOK 25,000 (~EUR 2,800 at time of writing) or face a 20% penalty, although it's a little unclear to me where/how exactly you're supposed to declare if coming from a fellow Schengen country.

Safety is a bigger concern, as carrying around EUR 9,000 just seems like a really bad idea. The right thing to do would be to deposit it at a Latvian bank, declare its origin and pay any applicable taxes, and then you can transfer it easily to other countries, withdraw it from ATMs, use it to pay credit card bills, etc.

If you wish to stick to plain old cash, then the answers to this question and this question have some advice for you, although most of it boils down to "don't". In short, divide your money in multiple places, preferably directly on your body but in unobvious places (hidden pockets in pants, etc) — this way you minimize the risk of losing them through both theft and violent robbery. The latter isn't a huge concern in Sweden or Norway, although one of the three times somebody has tried to pickpocket me did occur in Stockholm's T-Centralen...

  • Actually, the EU rules are just extra rules on top of national rules, there is nothing preventing EU countries from requiring people to declare cash when travelling within the EU and several do.
    – Relaxed
    Jun 18, 2015 at 11:16
  • You are correct, but per the EU guidance I just linked to, they can only do so when the amount exceeds EUR 10k or equivalent. Jun 18, 2015 at 11:17
  • 1
    Well, my main concern is safety, especially on my way there, as I will be going through other countries by bus for maybe 20 hours or so... I will be sleeping and everything on the bus. Anyway, there aren't applicable taxes, I don't know where the money came from. The person just saved it for many years until he died and left it for me by word, not any paper... Meaning I'd have trouble with authorities if I put 9k to my account. Isn't there something I can buy and cash in without my name on it there?
    – Jack
    Jun 18, 2015 at 12:34
  • 5
    This is more a question for Money.SE, but I don't understand what "trouble with authorities" you're worried about? Go to the bank, if they ask say it's from an inheritance (or deposit slowly in sub-1000e increments if they won't take it without documentation), and declare it on your tax return. Jun 18, 2015 at 13:26
  • Here in the US, it's required to do some extra paperwork for US $10,000 transactions and up, but a one-time deposit is highly unlikely to attract attention from the authorities. I once deposited $4000 in cash from selling an extra car and the teller didn't blink. I would be terrified of losing $9000 over the course of a vacation, either by accident or as a crime victim. I strongly advise against it. Jun 20, 2015 at 0:18

When you carry cash with you on an airline trip, you should take some very basic steps to keep from becoming a victim of theft, or from losing your money by accident.

1.Avoid traveling with large amounts of cash.

2.If you have to take cash, keep it in a carry on bag.

3.Never put your cash, financial instruments, or precious metals in a checked bag.

4.Keep your cash and other valuables out of public view.

5.Keep your baggage and belongings in sight when passing through a security checkpoint.

6.If your carry on baggage must be searched, insist on keeping your bag in sight.

7.If asked about the amount of money in your baggage by a TSA agent or other responsible authority, tell the truth.

8.If you suspect that you have been a victim of theft, contact an airport police officer or other law enforcement representative immediately (note that TSA agents are not law enforcement agents)

If you suspect that a TSA screener or other screening area employee has stolen your property, contact a supervisor.

  • Is that copied and posted from somewhere? The OP has not said they're flying, and is certainly not flying in the USA. Jun 19, 2015 at 12:33

Yes there are no restriction of holding cash and declare it when traveling in EU countries but I think carrying such a big money during traveling without safety is not a good idea.

  • How is there no restriction?
    – JoErNanO
    Jun 18, 2015 at 12:21
  • As shown by jpatokal, there are such restrioctions.
    – Ángel
    Jun 18, 2015 at 13:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.