I'm a student currently living in S. Korea and I have double nationality: Dominican and German. I want to travel back to my country but through Europe is much more expensive than laying over in the US. However, I don't have VISA for the US in any of both passports. I would like to layover in the US with the German passport since I can only do an ESTA form and it seems easier and quicker.

However, I want to be sure that I can travel as follows: Going out of Korea with my Dominican passport, entering/exiting the US with my German passport with ESTA form and entering my country with my Dominican passport. And if so, should I book my airplane ticket with my Dominican passport information? (Since it's the final destination).


Yes, it is very common to use two passports too.

What you will do for immigration officials is:

  • Depart South Korea using the same passport you entered. This is the passport containing your student visa (but you didn't say which).
  • Transit the US on your German passport.
  • Arrive on your Dominican passport.

But note that the airline needs to see both passports. You will explain to them that you will transit the US on your German passport.

  • She could even leave with the German passport if South Korea doesn't stamp on exit – blackbird Jun 13 '15 at 21:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.