I am an Indian citizen and I was granted a visa from the French Consulate. It says that my visa type is Long Stay "D" valid for France (sauf CTOM).

I am going to Nice (France) via Munich (Germany), would I need a transit visa for Germany ?

  • 1
    To clarify, you transit via Germany en route from India to France, or do you have other stops? In the former case, this is not really a transit for visa purposes: you will enter the Schengen area in Germany, which is possible even though your visa was issued by France.
    – fkraiem
    Jun 13, 2015 at 10:22
  • This is an unclear question. Please tell us exactly what you are wanting to do. Also, please note, if you are wanting information on going to France to start your long duration stay, this really should be in Expatriates.
    – CGCampbell
    Jun 13, 2015 at 10:46
  • Hi, To be exact, I am going from India to Nice via. Munich. My VISA category is type D valid for France (sauf CTOM). My flight is New Delhi -Munich and then from Munich-Nice. My question is simply that, would I require a transit VISA at the Munich airport ? Jun 13, 2015 at 12:19
  • As I said above, transit visas do not apply to you because you will need to pass border control in Munich. The question is whether you can enter Germany on a type D visa issued by France, and I am unable to find the answer. A type D visa entitles you to visit Germany (for up to 90 days in any 180 days period), but I don't know about entering Germany from outside the Schengen area. You may want to edit the question to make this clear (or I can do it if you want), but it may be considered off-topic here as @CGCampbell said.
    – fkraiem
    Jun 13, 2015 at 15:22
  • 2
    @Vince Not a duplicate, we are talking about a national visa for France, not a Schengen visa.
    – fkraiem
    Jun 13, 2015 at 15:52

1 Answer 1


This is possible by article 5 paragraph 4(a) of the Schengen Borders Code (Regulation (EC) No 562/2006)

third-country nationals who do not fulfil all the conditions laid down in paragraph 1 but hold a residence permit or a re-entry visa issued by one of the Member States or, where required, both documents, shall be authorised to enter the territories of the other Member States for transit purposes so that they may reach the territory of the Member State which issued the residence permit or re-entry visa, unless their names are on the national list of alerts of the Member State whose external borders they are seeking to cross and the alert is accompanied by instructions to refuse entry or transit;

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .