Is it possible to change a USA F-1 visa for B -1/B-2 visa because of a change of interest?

  • You cannot "swap" them out; you'd have to apply for a B1/B2 separately as there are different requirements for each. – Burhan Khalid Jun 10 '15 at 5:33
  • @BurhanKhalid that is incorrect; see my answer for more information. – phoog Jun 10 '15 at 8:36
  • The person is asking about a visa not change of status. – Burhan Khalid Jun 10 '15 at 8:41
  • 2
    Are you already in the US? – Karlson Jun 10 '15 at 13:19
  • @BurhanKhalid many people confuse the two. I think Karlson has hit the nail on the head: I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP is already in the US. – phoog Jun 10 '15 at 17:23

In principle, you can change your status, but you won't actually get a new visa. You'll need to file form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status: http://www.uscis.gov/i-539.

This assumes you are already in the US, as Karlson point out in a comment to your question. If you are not in the US, you will probably have to file a new application. Ask at the consulate. They will be able to tell you. Surely this has happened before.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.