I am a citizen of the US and I will be leaving to go back to the states after a long time overseas. I've been living in the Philippines and I will have a connecting flight from the Philippines to Japan and I will be staying there for about a month to live with my family before I fly back to San Francisco. Basically my flight pattern is MNL - NRT - 1 month - HND - SFO Do I need to get a transit visa? Or Is it no longer needed? Is there any other requirements that I may not know about?

  • 7
    You plan to stay in Japan for a month? That's a little longer than what would normally consider a layover. Most "transit" visas are ~24 hours.
    – CMaster
    Jun 9, 2015 at 13:03
  • Yes in aviation parlance it is a stopover not a transit nor a layover
    – Calchas
    Jun 9, 2015 at 22:47

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure that 1 month is counted as a layover. But you don't need to get a visa, provided you are travelling on your US passport. The only thing they may ask you for is proof that you have booked flights leaving the country, but you are covered there.

According to the Japanese Embassy in the US

A visa is NOT necessary for US passport holders visiting Japan for a short-term stay of less than 90 days with the purpose of tourism and business. *

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .