In Europe usually you don't need to go through immigration to change planes (unless you are entering/exiting Schengen). Is it the case in the US as well? May I catch a connecting flight on one of the US airports if I don't have US visa?


2 Answers 2


Unlike many other countries, US airports do not have any form of physical immigration controls when you are departing the country on an international flight. In fact, in most airports there isn't even a concept of an "International" terminal/gate, with the same gates frequently being used for international flights and domestic flights.

As a result of this they can't enforce the concept of a 'transit' passenger - once you're in the departure area, even if you got there on the pretext of catching another international flight out of the country a few hours later, there's nothing to stop you boarding a different domestic flight, or even simply walking out of the airport!

This means that ALL passengers arriving on international flights in the US must have the legal right to enter the US; i.e, you must either be a US citizen/green card holder, be from a country that does not have any visa requirements (such as Canada or Bermuda), be from a country that is a part of the US Visa Waiver Program and have a valid ESTA, or have a US Visa.

If you require a Visa then there is a "Transit Visa" (C) available which is normally a little easier to obtain than a normal visa, but you'll still need to go through the full visa application process, including showing proof that you intend to leave the US (almost) immediately.

  • 6
    I'll second this. I actually have walked out from the international departure gate to an area outside--the plane was very late and I wanted food other than what was available in the terminal. There was no check of any kind on the way out and coming back there was nothing but the normal security you would find in any airport. Commented Jan 23, 2013 at 1:36
  • +1 I flew into the USA from Fiji, landed in LA with New York as my final destination. But I had to go through immigration control in LA, collect my checked-in luggage and check in again to board my flight to NY. Commented Mar 17, 2013 at 20:24
  • 13
    @AdityaSomani All arrivals in the US must go through immigration, regardless of whether you are transiting or arriving. There is no way to get to a departing flight from the area where incoming flights arrive except via immigration.
    – Doc
    Commented Mar 27, 2014 at 1:59
  • 1
    @Doc Ahh I understand now. So basically once you leave the arrival after the immigration you MUST have a transit VISA or any other similar document because the departure lounge is unprotected and you can walk out at ease right? I remember what Loren is talking about in a previous comment quite vividly from one of my own experiences in Atlanta as well. Commented Mar 27, 2014 at 2:41
  • 3
    Simple explanation as to why U.S. airports are designed this way: they got there first and now they're the worst.
    – gparyani
    Commented Apr 17, 2018 at 5:05

First of all it depends what nationality you are. I assume you are from a country that is part of the US visa waiver program. In this case you don't need a visa but you do need a travel authorization (ESTA) even if you are only changing planes in the US without leaving the airport.

Source: ESTA-FAQ of the Department of Homeland Security.

So there is no difference between visiting the US for 90 days or just transiting, in both cases you need an ESTA. It currently costs $14 and you can do it online before leaving for the US.

  • 2
    The accepted answer on this question may also be of interest. Commented Jan 16, 2012 at 16:11
  • 4
    Yes it does, when you arrive by any plane in the US, you always have to go through US immigration, even if you are just on transit to another country. If you can't do ESTA, you may need a proper visa. Please change your question to include your nationality. Commented Jan 16, 2012 at 16:51
  • 3
    ESTA is a visa, never mind what DHS says about it. The only difference is the application process and the price.
    – jwenting
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 7:05
  • 17
    Technically the ESTA is NOT a Visa. It's an automated check for people from people counties to determine if they will be admitted without a visa. Whilst this might sound like semantics, there's one significant difference - if you are denied a Visa then you basically have zero recourse, you will not be allowed into the US, and have to declare the fact that your visa application was rejected on all future attempts to obtain a US visa. If you are denied an ESTA then it means that you have to go through the usual Visa application process, but you are not (automatically) denied entry to the US.
    – Doc
    Commented Jan 21, 2012 at 18:44
  • 3
    @Annoyed traditionally it's a travel permit applied for in advance, presumably granted only after the person has been investigated for anything that would be problematic for denying entry. I agree that over time in many countries it's been watered down to little more than a formality and a means to make some hard currency income from foreigners, the on-arrivals things like Indonesia and Turkey have are the ultimate in those, effectively turning the visa process into little more than a ticket booth at an amusement park. Wonder how the local population would react to it being called that.
    – jwenting
    Commented Dec 20, 2013 at 6:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .