My friend is a student in Germany who is on a student visa. I want to surprise him on his birthday by turning up at his house on the day. When I apply for a visa, should I apply for a Tourist visa (Visiting friends or relatives) or should I apply for a Tourist travel (no visit to any relatives/friends)? I don't want to get any invitation documentations from my friend since it wouldn't be a surprise then. I will be sponsoring the entire trip myself

  • It's not a big difference if you are self-sufficient; overall, disclosure is the best policy. If you are visiting friends, then you can apply that way.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 1 '15 at 12:39
  • But wouldn't hat require an invitation letter from my friend? Jun 1 '15 at 12:45
  • Are you relying upon your friend for accommodation or maintenance support? Then yes.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 1 '15 at 12:48
  • No. I will be sponsoring the entire trip including what is required for accommodation and other expenses. But I might stay stay at my friend's also. Jun 1 '15 at 12:53
  • 1
    May be I hope to be. Jun 1 '15 at 19:33

A Schengen visa is a Schengen visa, there are no strictly defined categories. If you want to rely on your friend's financial support or accommodation then you will indeed need a formal invitation. Otherwise, just be upfront and truthful and it should be fine. If you are unsure about which box to check, just choose “other” and write a short explanation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.