I know a person who came to the US under B1 visa (which he says). He says, he is currently enrolled in a flight training school.

I want to know, whether he is allowed to join academies under a B1 visa?

  • 1
    Note the flight training specifically is actually kind of a special case. Regardless of visa requirements, it actually requires approval from the Department of Homeland Security for a non-citizen to undergo flight training. See this document from DHS.
    – reirab
    May 21, 2015 at 5:02

1 Answer 1

Disclaimer: IANAL, consult your immigration lawyer.

Generally no, especially if you're asking about academic studies:

Is it permissible to enroll in school while in B-1/B-2 status?

No, it is not. The regulations, at 8 CFR 214.2(b)(7), specifically prohibit study in the United States while in B-1 or B-2 status.

Before enrolling in classes, individuals who are in B-1 or B-2 status must first acquire F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status. Enrolling in classes while in B-1/B-2 status will result in a status violation. Individuals in B-1 or B-2 status, who have violated their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in classes, are not eligible to extend their B status or change to F-1 or M-1 status. These regulations provide no exceptions. (source: USCIS)

However, allegedly there is a way kind of study legally provided that the course is short, limited to no more than 18 hours a week, and recreational.

Requirements to Study on the B Visa

  • Your course of study must be less than 18 hours per week.
  • You must be studying for recreational purposes, not for academic credit.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to pay for all expected expenses for the duration of your visit. (source: Serotte Law)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.