I heard that in order to apply for Portugal visa while living in Scotland, I have to do it via the consulate in Manchester, even though the consulate in London is easier to reach. However I cannot find any information to confirm this on the Internet. I tried to call the consulate but they didn't pick up the phone. Hence I wonder if anyone can confirm that information for me.

I'm Vietnamese citizen currently living in the UK on a student visa.

  • 3
    What is your nationality? Commented May 7, 2015 at 23:03
  • 5
    +1 In spite of all the criticism and comments, I think the question is fine. The OP obviously understands the rules and is not asking whether he or she needs a visa or can apply for it from the UK so citizenship and residency are not particularly relevant. The problem is that the website of the Portuguese embassy in London is extremely unclear on the shape of the consular districts and the respective responsibilities of the various consulates.
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 10, 2015 at 11:47
  • 1
    @Relaxed Their particular citizenship is not relevant, but the way they had worded the question could have, in my opinion, led people to assume they were a UK citizen, in which case they wouldn't need a visa for Portugal. I just asked for a little more information so I could edit it into the question and make sure no-one read it wrong. I'm not really sure where you got "all the criticism" from, unless there are some comments which have since been deleted. Commented May 10, 2015 at 22:54
  • 2
    @starplusplus It's just that four ‘close’ vote plus two comments asking for information to verify the premise of the question felt like criticism to me. It's true that we got mistaken questions from British citizens before but that one seemed specific enough to assume the OP had done her research and didn't need generic info on visa requirements.
    – Relaxed
    Commented May 10, 2015 at 23:13
  • 1
    Portugal has an "honorary" consulate in Edinburgh. Perhaps that can do visa issuance? portuguese-embassy.co.uk/en/consular-section/…
    – Calchas
    Commented Aug 30, 2015 at 10:46

3 Answers 3


The Portuguese system works a bit differently...

All visa applications lodged in the UK need to made online at their Application Portal.

As part of the procedure you will have the opportunity to schedule your appointment request and the site will tell you which locations and dates are available. Edinburgh, being an honorary consulate, does not have the credentials to issue visas. The choices in England are London and Manchester.

You should study their guidance (linked from the portal site) and be sure to take your original documents plus a copy of each (also your photographs).

They have an background information page here.

In researching this answer I spoke with the Vice Consul at The Consulate-General of Portugal in London. She emphasized in the most emphatic terms that you should not purchase travel tickets until AFTER your interview.

In the event you have further questions you can contact the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF) at [email protected]

  • It should be noted that an online system allows you to choose either London or Manchester offices regardless your current address. However, if you choose the London office while living in Scotland, they will not accept your application when you come and submit them.
    – Long Thai
    Commented Sep 4, 2015 at 7:37
  • @LongThai sounds like somebody at the consulate didn't get the word. I hope you complained.
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Sep 4, 2015 at 12:00

Apparently, I have to apply for the visa in Manchester as I'm living in Scotland. I am sure about it now as they (i.e. the London office) refused to receive my application based on my address.

Even though they have an online booking system, it allowed me to select either Manchester or London office regardless my address, but when I went to the London office, the person, who was in charge of processing the application, told me that I had to go to the Manchester one.

  • The Manchester Team also does consular visits to Edinburgh, Glasgow, and now recently Aberdeen at various times in the year. Information and appointments for these is only available by emailing them. Be patient as they will only reply when they have the dates ready. Also bear in mind, only certain services are provided at these clinics. I've used it a few times myself.
    – bPratik
    Commented Mar 8, 2019 at 13:30
  • Dates can be found on Portal of the Portuguese Communities but appointments are by email only. Too late to edit my previous comment :)
    – bPratik
    Commented Mar 8, 2019 at 13:38

I've emailed the Portuguese consulate in Manchester and received the following reply:

The Consulate General of Portugal in Manchester jurisdiction areas are:

  • East Midlands — Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire

  • West Midlands — Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Warwickshire, Shropshire and Staffordshire

  • North East England — Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear, Teeside, Wearside, and Tyneside

  • North West England — Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire

  • Yorkshire and the Humber — Yorkshire, Humberside

  • Isle of Man

  • Wales

  • Scotland

  • Northern Ireland

If you live outside of these areas please contact the Consulate General of Portugal in London.

Therefore you must apply in Manchester, unfortunately, as correctly indicated by the consulate employee.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .