I'm a Lithuanian citizen, studying in the UK (though I did not officially change my country of residence here at Lithuania, so I guess I'm still officially living here) going on a research visit to Canada. I would like to visit New York during some weekend while in Canada, so I need to apply for an ESTA. Few questions:

  • Is this flight scenario still OK for an ESTA ? London -> Toronto -> NY -> Toronto -> London
  • Do I need to buy plane tickets before applying for an ESTA ? I.e. what if my application gets rejected for some reason ?
  • What should I say on the application when asked for the country where I live ? I mean, officially I live in Lithuania, in reality I live in the UK - I study here and I also have an official part time job here in London. Also my return tickets from Canada will be to London, not Lithuania.
  • If you're studying in the UK as a full-time student, that means you're resident in the UK. I don't think it matters that you're a Lithuanian citizen as far as that's concerned. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:00
  • @AnkurBanerjee It does matter because for ESTA you have to be a citizen of the country in the program.
    – Karlson
    Jan 10, 2012 at 14:24
  • 1
    Whether you have resident status is decided by the government and the law so I wouldn't be surprised if being a full time student varies from country to country as to whether it gets you resident status. Laws are full of weird loopholes and whatnot. Jan 10, 2012 at 17:56

1 Answer 1


To answer them in order:

  • Yes it is OK, but why consider it? You don't know if ESTA will be approved so reserve: London->Toronto->London and then if you need to depending on the length of your visit you may be able to get a ticket in Toronto or reserve it separately later. If the question does come up see below.
  • Well you know that you will be in Toronto so that ticket I'd buy. But to travel to the US just reserve a car. Reservation cancellation for a car will be much cheaper then cancelling a flight. Toronto is 8 hours drive from New York so quite a few people do it so it's not that uncommon.
  • You are a Lithuanian citizen currently living in the UK. Country of citizenship being different from country of residence is OK.

There are websites like USA Travel Visa that can help

  • 4
    Turns out you can apply for ESTA before buying plane tickets and that's what I did. I put UK as the country I live in and got the approval. Then I bought plane tickets and updated the ESTA application with my flight information. So basically if I don't get rejected at the border, everything should be OK. Jan 10, 2012 at 15:13
  • @SauliusValatka what happened in the end?
    – phoog
    Jan 19, 2016 at 3:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.