I'm an Indian national and I have a friend in USA who got stuck and I wanna go and get her. The thing is I can't show bank balance, as I don't have any, but I have credit cards worth 5000 USD and I have no intention of staying in the US. I just wanna get in, collect my friend and get back on the same day itself.

I know the consulate officer would reject my visa due to insufficient funds, but I'm not planning to stay and it's just one day visit, and it's like life saving emergency. Would I be given a chance to explain to consulate officer? Any idea to get visa.

My friend is having H4 visa and she can't sponsor me. I've tried for sponsorship from my friend, but he says he has already sponsored enough people for his quota.

Is there any chance that I can get a visa, at least 12 hour visa would do fine, but there seems to be no such thing. Can anybody suggest a solution for this situation ?

  • 6
    Call the Embassy and explain your situation (and your friend's dire need). IF there is a way to be issued an emergency visa, they will tell you how to go about it.
    – user13044
    Commented May 4, 2015 at 6:15
  • 7
    Have you tried phoning the Indian Embassy in the USA, and explaining your friend's problem? They might be able to help your friend without you needing to go there
    – Gagravarr
    Commented May 4, 2015 at 6:17
  • 6
    Unless she's a child who can't travel alone even with the assistance of an airline I don't see any reason for you to travel to the US. And if it is such a child why exactly the H1 holder for whom she's a dependant isn't able to send her back to India. I think you're trying for a bad solution in with a solvable problem.
    – Karlson
    Commented May 4, 2015 at 13:48
  • 1
    Yes she is fleeing an abusive relationship, she is in shelter now. She has some money to book her ticket, but she is afraid she might be stopped by her husband. She got preliminary protection, but couldn't get final protection, bcoz of her kids. Her husband wouldn't let her leave with the kids, easily, she doesn't know anybody out there and she's got medically sick. She's been to hospital every week. So if i could get there,I can get her with the help of police.
    – Zeus
    Commented May 5, 2015 at 4:02
  • 2
    Sounds like you need to file a report with the local police, and get a lawyer. Get her the protection and authority she needs. You don't need to be in the US to do those things. Then, once she has it, use you credit cards to buy her (and her kids), flights home Commented May 5, 2015 at 8:54

1 Answer 1


The situation in question sounds like something to be solved with the local police department rather than in-person, however you could still try applying for a visa. Your options are:

  • Apply for a single-entry tourist US visa for 3 days, book the hotels and flights. Assuming you can satisfy the normal visa requirements you shouldn't have any troubles.

  • Book a flight through the US with a 24 hour layover and apply for a transit visa. US airports don't have a sterile transit zone, so once you've passed immigration nothing stops you from visiting your friend. One good country to fly to would be Ecuador, since it doesn't require Indian citizens to apply for a visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .