I entered the states for a visit. (I'm Canadian) Ended up getting married so we started filing for permanent U.S. resident. (husband's an American citizen) While filing, I lost my passport, which had my u.s stamp on it for border passage! However, I do have a copy of my lost passport, which also had passport # on it! I'm wondering when I get a new passport, will I be able to get the U.S. stamp on it again? Without crossing border back & forth? Please help!! Any info is appreciated! Already called Canadian embassy to report my lost passport.


You are not going to get a stamp on your new passport, because you didn't use that passport to enter. The stamp is just a one-time record; you cannot replace it.

Usually, the thing that matters for a foreigner to be able to stay in the U.S. is the I-94, which documents their status and duration of stay. For people entering since mid-2013 by air or sea, the I-94 is electronic, and so the loss of a passport would not affect the ability to look up and print out the I-94 anyway. For people entering by land, they may still get a paper I-94, and if the paper I-94 is lost, then it is necessary to apply for a replacement I-94.

However, as a Canadian citizen visitor, you are generally not issued an I-94, even before 2013. You can head to the I-94 website to see if you have one; if you do, then that's all you need. If not, then I guess your copy of the entry stamp can serve to show that you entered legally.

  • Canadian non-immigrants properly admitted nearly always have an I-94 record now no matter how they arrived and even if they don't get the piece of paper (I was only once admitted without an I-94 when on a 2 hour errand across the Niagara River; he wanted to close the I-94 left open from a similar errand the month before and not leave a new one open). Finding the record might be a problem if the entry wasn't with (something tied to) a passport or if one no longer knows the passport number. I often didn't get entry stamps, though.
    – Dennis
    Jul 14 '17 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.