I have been in the US for 2 months and 20 days. I have 10 days left on my ESTA.

I would like to extend my stay for non-medical reasons. Is there any way to do this? Can I apply for a brand new ESTA while still in my previous ESTA?

Otherwise, can I exit the country to Canada and come back 1 or 2 days later with a new ESTA? Note: I am not a Canadian citizen.

  • 3
    The ESTA does not determine how long you can stay. Assuming you are in the US on the VWP (visa waiver program), THAT determines how long you can stay.
    – CGCampbell
    Commented Apr 6, 2015 at 17:41
  • Make sure you read this question and answer: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/5922/… Commented Apr 7, 2015 at 3:19

1 Answer 1


No, you can not extend your stay, unless it is some sort of emergency like hospitalization, canceled or delayed flight for more than 24 hours, etc help.cbp.gov

ESTA is usually granted for 2 years or until your passport expires (whichever comes earlier), so depending on when yours started it is possible, that you may not have to apply again help.cbp.gov

However, one of the conditions for granting the entry is that your travel may not terminate in adjacent country (like Canada, Mexico or any of the Carribean islands) esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Also, note that having an ESTA does not automagically grant you entry - that decision made by the CBP official www.cbp.gov

Therefore, you would have to travel some place else then Canada in order not to violate the rules. And you better be prepared to give a good answer to CBP official asking you why you are back so soon.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .