I'm looking to travel into the states for the weekend (I live in Canada). My passport has expired but I have nexus. Can I still use nexus even if my passport has expired?
From personal experience, while Saagar's post about using the kiosk is accurate, land crossings using NEXUS during a passport renewal process are fine. I asked US and Canada customs and they both advised me it was fine, and my following crossing was done during my renewal, using NEXUS, and went without issue. Flying may be different, though - airlines may want to see a passport, and there may be issues with the kiosks (although the NEXUS card works in Canadian kiosks, and I understand it does now in US kiosks, too, although I've only ever used my passport on the US ones).
As far as my information goes, if you do not update the Canadian Nexus system with a new passport number, neither Global Entry nor Nexus will work at the kiosk if you enter the U.S. with your Nexus pass.
As per Central Border Services Agency,
NEXUS members must report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change all other information including:
- Legal Name Changes
- Changes to Citizenship Documents
- Changes to Permanent Resident Card Information
- Changes to Naturalization Certificates
- Changes to Work Visas or Study Permit Information
- Changes to Employment Information if the change affects your eligibility to the program
- Changes to Legal Custody and Legal Guardian Status or Jurisdiction (For all NEXUS members under 18)
- Changes that could affect your NEXUS membership such as an arrest, a criminal charge, a conviction or a customs or immigration violation in Canada or the United States.
- Purpose of travel changes (business/pleasure/school, etc)
On occasion, NEXUS will need to contact you regarding program changes. Therefore, please ensure that NEXUS always has your current contact information on file.