I'm looking to travel into the states for the weekend (I live in Canada). My passport has expired but I have nexus. Can I still use nexus even if my passport has expired?


From personal experience, while Saagar's post about using the kiosk is accurate, land crossings using NEXUS during a passport renewal process are fine. I asked US and Canada customs and they both advised me it was fine, and my following crossing was done during my renewal, using NEXUS, and went without issue. Flying may be different, though - airlines may want to see a passport, and there may be issues with the kiosks (although the NEXUS card works in Canadian kiosks, and I understand it does now in US kiosks, too, although I've only ever used my passport on the US ones).

  • NEXUS doesn't work in US Global entry kiosks. Possibly APC - not had this confirmed by the CBP yet
    – Crazydre
    Nov 28 '17 at 3:09
  • @Coke cbp.gov/faqs/can-i-use-my-nexus-card-global-entry-kiosk According to this, you can use a NEXUS card at Canadian preclearance GE kiosks, but not at GE kiosks anywhere else. Nov 28 '17 at 3:29
  • Yes, that's what I meant. If entering at a US airport, a regular desk or possibly APC has to be used
    – Crazydre
    Nov 28 '17 at 3:37
  • I asked about this last time I was in a NEXUS office. He thought APC machines won't take a NEXUS card, but GE machines in US airports might if they could match you to an APIS record from an inbound Canada flight. I never had a chance to test this, though.
    – Dennis
    Nov 28 '17 at 15:46

As far as my information goes, if you do not update the Canadian Nexus system with a new passport number, neither Global Entry nor Nexus will work at the kiosk if you enter the U.S. with your Nexus pass.

As per Central Border Services Agency,

NEXUS members must report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change all other information including:

  • Legal Name Changes
  • Changes to Citizenship Documents
  • Changes to Permanent Resident Card Information
  • Changes to Naturalization Certificates
  • Changes to Work Visas or Study Permit Information
  • Changes to Employment Information if the change affects your eligibility to the program
  • Changes to Legal Custody and Legal Guardian Status or Jurisdiction (For all NEXUS members under 18)
  • Changes that could affect your NEXUS membership such as an arrest, a criminal charge, a conviction or a customs or immigration violation in Canada or the United States.
  • Purpose of travel changes (business/pleasure/school, etc)

On occasion, NEXUS will need to contact you regarding program changes. Therefore, please ensure that NEXUS always has your current contact information on file.

  • However, it may still be possible to enter with the NEXUS card by walking up to one of the passport inspection desks and presenting the card to a CBP officer.
    – phoog
    Nov 28 '17 at 1:19
  • @phoog Yes it is, possibly using APC as well (I just know using GE is not possible at US airports)
    – Crazydre
    Nov 28 '17 at 3:08

You don't need a passport at all.

A NEXUS card alone is valid for entry to the US, even by air if flying from Canada. Same goes for a Canadian enhanced driving licence (by land).

So just show your NEXUS card

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.