Are there any special documents needed to enter Japan as a single, fully custody, parent of a 16 year old minor?

We will only be in Japan for 7 days on a tourist visa.

I've checked here and can't seem to find any information on the subject.

1 Answer 1


After some quick searching, I wasn't able to turn up anything specific either. However, Japan now does subscribe to the Hague Convention. This assumes that the minor child has a passport and that the other parent is alive. So, to be safe:

  1. A notarized statement from the non-custodial parent stating that you have permission to take the child out of the country, dated within 3 months of travel.

Whether or not that's possible:

  1. Notarized copy of decree giving you sole/full custody.

  2. A court order allowing you to take the child out of the country.


  1. Child's birth certificate that includes your name as a parent.
  • 1
    Obviously none of that will hurt, but I'd be astonished if you needed any of it. Japan subscribes to the "possession is nine tenths of the law" school when it comes to child custody issues. Mar 27, 2015 at 22:02
  • 1
    Well, the US states that it's not needed, but that if you're asked for it, and can't produce, you'll definitely be delayed. See this page.
    – mkennedy
    Mar 28, 2015 at 6:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.