My family and I are planning a holiday trip to Italy from India.

I was reading the list of documents required for our visa application and saw a requirement to document our socio-professional standing.

I can provide school records or income-tax returns for me and my father.

The real problem is my mother doesn't have any of the documents requested in order to show her socio-professional standing. She's a housewife and does not have any educational qualifications, so there are no school records for her.

Are there any other ways to document the socio-professional standing for her?

  • What type of visa are you seeking?
    – Relaxed
    Mar 27, 2015 at 17:28
  • @Relaxed Tourism visa for not more than 8-10 days.. Mar 27, 2015 at 17:33
  • Is your mother travelling with her spouse (maybe your father?) or only with you?
    – Relaxed
    Mar 27, 2015 at 17:51
  • @Relaxed yes shes travellig with her spouse i.e my father Mar 27, 2015 at 17:55

1 Answer 1


If your mother does not have something to show for socio-professional, she can still submit documents on the strength of her social standing (i.e., the 'socio' part of socio-professional).

Examples would include, her marriage certificate, church/religious memberships, other memberships and affiliations that demonstrate an engagement with society. A reference from the family doctor might be helpful, but shouldn't be seen as required.

Since she is applying as part of a family group, it is unlikely to make a big difference either way. They are aware that not every applicant has formal credentials and as long as the primary is acceptable they will normally grant the dependant relatives a visa also.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.