I'm a Vietnamese and currently studying in the UK. My Tier 4 visa is expiring in September 2015. I booked tickets to Europe for July (which my visa will expires less than 90 days by the end of the trip).

I am planning to go back to Vietnam during summer, and apply for a Schengen Visa there to enter Europe and UK for my graduation in July.

Wondering if this is possible?

  • 1
    Based upon what you wrote it sounds fine. Any reason why you think it might not be possible?
    – Gayot Fow
    Mar 24, 2015 at 21:54
  • 4
    Well, except Schengen visa doesn't let you enter the UK, so you'll need to apply for both a Schengen and a UK Visa.
    – Ray
    Mar 25, 2015 at 2:20

1 Answer 1


This depends - when is your study program ending ? I studied in the UK for a masters program which ran from September 2011 to August 2012 - I was given a visa which lasted from August 2011 till February 2013 ( i.e 1 month before the program start date and 6 months after the program end date). My graduation ceremony was at the end of January.

I personally did not leave the UK, but quite a few International student friends of mine left the UK for a while, either to to go to their home country or got a schenzen visa to go around Europe. Most of them came back in the UK in time for the graduation ceremony - They used the same old Tier 4 visa.

So what I know I that the Tier 4 visa is designed so that you complete your course and have enough validity so that you can attend your graduation ceremony (or complete any remaining course requirements). It is also a multiple entry visa for the time period it's valid.

tl;dr version-
If your tier 4 visa is valid till when your graduation ceremony is held, then you should have no issues re-entering the UK. Just remember to carry your invitation letter to the ceremony. If you don't have one, ask your university for one.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .