What do I need to rent a car in Chile as US citizen while traveling there? Do I need just my license?

If I only drive automatic in US, with basic knowledge of manual transmission, but not active use, can I still rent a manual?

  • 1
    The question is: wouldn't you rather rent an automatic?
    – JoErNanO
    Mar 21, 2015 at 20:12

1 Answer 1


I'm an American living in Chile, and have rented a car here many times. They ask for ID (your US passport if you are a tourist), your drivers license, and a major credit card.

You can rent a manual transmission car if you want. There is no test, or anything. They assume you can drive one, since most people outside the U.S. can. However, automatics are also available (and are common) at most rental companies.

  • Hi and welcome. Isn't an international driving licence needed for us citizens to drive in Chile?
    – JoErNanO
    Mar 22, 2015 at 10:00
  • @JoErNanO, in a few countries I've been, you can drive a car using your original driver's license up to 1 month after your arrival in the country. I'll try to find a resource stating that to post!
    – gmauch
    Mar 22, 2015 at 10:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.