I have bought fudge for gifts in NZ but am now unsure whether I will be allowed to take it inti UK - will I?

  • Did you try looking at the gov.uk page on brining food to the UK? – Gagravarr Mar 19 '15 at 22:10
  • 1
    @Gagravarr That page isn't very helpful for fudge, since it offers no clues as to whether it's considered a "dairy" product or not. – lambshaanxy Mar 19 '15 at 22:43
  • 1
    It's a confectionary – Gayot Fow Mar 19 '15 at 23:23

Turns out you can bring any amount of fudge you wish to in the UK, as long as it is for personal use (i.e. not for resale). Fudge should be a confectionery, and according to UK customs rules confectioneries are exempt from import restrictions:

Exempted food products

The following products are exempted from the rules:


  • chocolate and confectionery (but not if the sweets are made with high levels of unprocessed dairy ingredients)*


*Confectionery, chocolate or cakes (including Christmas cake, Simnel cake or cakes containing nuts) are permitted from any country as long as they are for your personal consumption and do not contain fresh cream or high levels of dairy products. Confectionery that contain high levels of dairy products include Burfi, Gulab Jaman, Halwah or Halva, Ras Malai, RasGullah, Ladoos, and Chum Chum. 

  • Surely fudge does contain high levels of dairy products? – e100 Mar 27 '15 at 19:22
  • @e100 Makes sense. But it doesn't figure in the list according to the UK customs guidelines on the website. Probably because fudge is available in the UK. I would therefore try it anyway. – JoErNanO Mar 27 '15 at 20:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.