I messed up the application, so it was my fault. I was born in another country but I put I was born in my state of residence. Everything else on the passport looks good. Is it possible for me to travel anyway and potentially get it fixed later?

Also I am wondering if it is free to get it corrected. I just got the passport today and checked it.

  • 2
    Personally, I find quite worrisome the fact that no one in the passport office checked for accuracy the information that you put in your application. – Federico Poloni Mar 13 '15 at 9:41
  • As per the above, don't you need to show a birth certificate or equivalent to get the passport originally, as per section 1 of DS-11: "APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below:" – Matthew Herbst Mar 13 '15 at 16:36

An incorrect country of birth is a fairly major error on a passport. You should definitely get this error corrected before attempting to use your passport.

To correct a US passport, you would submit form DS-5504.

A. There is no fee associated with the use of this form unless expedited service is requested (see below). Your re-issued passport book and/or passport card and any documentary evidence submitted to Passport Services will be returned to you by priority or first class mail, unless overnight delivery is requested.

| improve this answer | |
  • Oh sweet it is free. I see the form saying I need new photos but read somewhere else that you don't need new photos if you took them within 90 days (and I just got my passport so I am in this category). Should I ship new photos as well? Thanks for replying! – grivera Mar 12 '15 at 22:40
  • Also, do I have to fill out the whole form or just the part I want corrected? – grivera Mar 12 '15 at 23:10
  • You have to fill out the entire form. – user13044 Mar 13 '15 at 0:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.