In a few months, I will be going to Australia on a Work and Holiday Visa for a year to travel and work. I am looking for a place to get health/travel insurance for my time there. Does anyone know of any good companies to do this (for US citizens)? In addition, I would like to have "sports" coverage as I intend on SCUBA diving, skydiving, etc.

Lastly, I will be graduating from college and my health insurance will be ending about when I leave. Therefore, I was wondering if it is possible to get some travel/health insurance that stands on its own and that I don't need a primary insurance back home.

  • 2
    From the UK at least, the magic phrase to search for would be "gap year insurance"
    – Gagravarr
    Mar 3, 2015 at 5:54

2 Answers 2


There are options with local health insurers for $19-$25 AUD a week. This seems to be a common choice instead of getting travel insurance, however this will depend on your circumstances.

If you lookup "health insurance australia visa" you should find them.

The two main companies are Bupa and Medibank.


There are a couple of companies offering insurance to long term travellers including work and holiday workers or round-the-world tourists.

Avi-international targets all nationalities but requires you to be under 35 - which should be the case for a work and holiday visa.

World Nomads apparently is not clear on that point for us citizens even though it covers working holidays for other countries' citizens.

There are a few others that you should be able to find through a search engine.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .