My husband and I are going to Italy for a 15 day vacation from USA. We are NOT citizens of the states, but we work and live here. Our return flight is from Venice, Italy to Chicago, USA with a layover in Madrid, Spain. We are applying for a Schengen Visa with the Italian Embassy. Will we need a transit visa for our layover in Spain, if we already have an approved Schengen Visa?

Since Italy and Spain are both Schengen countries, we assumed that we would not need a transit visa, but we are getting confused reading online blogs.

  • 1
    No, you will not need a transit visa. What information from an online blog is causing your confusion? – phoog Mar 2 '15 at 16:45
  • Our airline said we would still need a transit visa, and we weren't getting a definite answer online. – Megha Mar 2 '15 at 17:19
  • what airline? They are clearly clueless. Show them your Italian visa and explain that it is also valid for Spain. Actually, of course, the airline is probably not clueless, just the person whom you spoke with. If that happens again, ask to speak to a supervisor. – phoog Mar 2 '15 at 17:20
  • Thanks for your reply. We are travelling with Iberia airlines. We called twice separately and spoke to 2 different customer representatives. It didnt make sense to us either, but they both said we would require a separate transit visa. – Megha Mar 2 '15 at 17:34
  • That's very troubling, of course, since the airline has the power to prevent you from boarding your flight. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter what they think, because you will not pass through the immigration control point in Italy to get to your airplane. But if the airline won't give you a boarding pass, that doesn't matter. Perhaps you should call the Spanish consulate and ask them to give you a letter stating that they cannot issue you a transit visa because you already hold a valid Schengen short-stay visa which permits you to enter Spain. – phoog Mar 2 '15 at 17:38

As @phoog already wrote, you do not need a transit visa.

Note that all the info you might have read about transit visas apply to people who come from outside the Schengen area and leave it immediately (for example India-Madrid-US). Transit rules are quite complicated, see Do I need a visa to transit (or layover) in the Schengen area?

But in your case, the flight between Venice and Madrid is an internal Schengen flight. When you arrive in Madrid, you are still in the Schengen area, just as if you drove there and the rules for transit do not apply at all. For some people, that's actually a problem as they need a full Schengen visa but you already have one of those. Therefore, you will simply go through the exit passport check and get a stamp in Madrid (and not in Venice).

  • Thanks. Do we require a double entry/ multiple entry Schengen visa then? – Megha Mar 2 '15 at 17:20
  • 1
    @Megha you will not require a multiple entry visa because flying from Italy to Spain is not "entering" the Schengen area. – phoog Mar 2 '15 at 17:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.