Is it legal for someone on a tourist visa to earn cash by giving English tuition (1 on 1 or private academies) in Spain?

I know there's a hefty freelancer registration system in place, but I've been told that teaching state-mandated subjects like English is exempted from taxation.

If it's illegal, how likely is detection and what are the consequences?


Tax and registration requirements and visa regulations are two separate issues. Any type of work, which this is, is most definitely illegal on a Schengen short-stay visa or visa-free stay without a separate authorization.

  • 4
    +1, but please add the part about detection and consequences – Gayot Fow Feb 22 '15 at 18:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.