This question already has an answer here:

I am an Australian in Spain on a 8 month student visa. I'm wondering if I can apply for the 90 day tourist visa while I'm here. Another option may be to leave to a non-Schengen zone like UK and return to Spain to start the 90 day visa. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

marked as duplicate by JonathanReez Apr 28 at 22:29

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


As an Australian citizen, you cannot get a short-stay Schengen visa under any circumstances. You can however stay in the Schengen area for 90 days without a visa, even if you have stayed in a Schengen country on a long-stay visa before.

See Does tourist visa (90 days) apply after a long-term visa ends in Schengen countries? and in particular this answer for the relevant law and this answer for an example of someone who did just that.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.