Going to Fiji soon and my flight back to Singapore from Fiji is a dreadful 8-hour layover in Sydney.

I have friends in Sydney and wondering if I can take an exit from the airport and come back WITHOUT a visa. My nationality requires me to have a visa to visit Australia but quite unsure if I will be allowed this time since I am on transit.

  • 6
    What is your nationality?
    – Mark Mayo
    Feb 19, 2015 at 3:40
  • 3
    Note: transit generally means you're staying in the airport...visas are to let you leave the airport...
    – Mark Mayo
    Feb 19, 2015 at 7:07

2 Answers 2


If your nationality requires a visa to visit Australia, then you will need a visa to visit friends in Sydney.


This page will assist you to determine if you need a visa, and what type. If you wish to leave the transit lounge for a few hours only then you will most probably require a transit visa (subclass 771).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .