I'm an Indian student who will be going to The Netherlands in the summer for a paid internship of 3 months. My travel agent told me that I would need a business visa. However, I'm wondering if a study visa would be more appropriate.

The reason I would prefer a study visa is to avoid paying the business visa fee. Is a study visa only applicable when one enrolls at a Dutch university to take courses?

Which visa should I get to do an internship in The Netherlands?

  • What will be the duration of your stay in The Netherlands? Are you enrolled as a student during the internship? – Saaru Lindestøkke Feb 13 '15 at 9:37
  • The duration of my internship will be 3 months. I have been registered as an "exchange student". – quovadis Feb 13 '15 at 10:15
  • 3
    Please add this information to your question by editing it. – Saaru Lindestøkke Feb 13 '15 at 10:18

As you will not be staying more than 3 months you will need a short stay (Schengen) visa. These visas are also called VKV (acronym for Visum Kort Verblijf in Dutch) or Type C visas and cost €60.

Because you are an Indian citizen your internship provider also needs to arrange a work permit for you (Tewerkstellingsvergunning, or TWV in Dutch).

You might find this document provided by Nuffic useful as it has more information on doing an internship in The Netherlands.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.