I'm an international student in the US, and am traveling to Mexico on March 6th-12th. I'm a citizen of Tajikistan and have a friend from Russia who didn't need a Mexican visa with the valid student F-1 visa to travel to Mexico. I've been doing some research going to Mexican embassy for some info and asked my school adviser whether I need one he said yes, however, information on these web sites are confusing me: Take a close look at b) COUNTRIES AND REGIONS THAT REQUIRE A VISA TO TRAVEL TO MEXICO On the other hand on the following link under the Requirements Tourist Visa to Travel to Mexico: Requirements Tourist Visa to Travel to Mexico it's asking to bring a valid US visa to apply for the Mexican visa. While I was with J-1 in 2008 I did apply for the Mexican visa though and somebody else did the documentation on behalf of me. So this is my very first time applying by myself and am confused a bit. Note: I'm going to Cabo which doesn't do stamp by arrival. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

UPDATE: It looks like with the US visa stamp on a foreign passport we're not required to have a Mexican visa. I did travel to Los Cabos, Mexico and didn't have any visa trouble.

1 Answer 1


If your U.S. visa is still valid, then you don't need a visa to go to Mexico for visiting purposes for up to 180 days.

  • 1
    @user2486873: Well, doesn't the link you already have say this?
    – user102008
    Feb 5, 2015 at 9:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.