I'm planning a family trip to Mexico in the summer. I'm a US citizen and so are my two kids. My wife was born in Mexico, but recently became a US citizen as well.

Traveling to Cancun, Mexico our flight will be making a stop in Guadalajara, Mexico continuing it's way to Cancun on a different plane (flight). We will be in Cancun for nine days.

Should I be aware of something? Mexican visas, or anything else?

  • Do mean Mexican visas for US citizens? US State Dept says that you can get tourist visas upon arrival. Note: your kids will need passports too.
    – mkennedy
    Jan 30, 2015 at 21:11
  • That's exactly my concern! since this is my first time traveling to Mexico I didn't know how to come across it. But Yes, that is my question.
    – Rick
    Jan 30, 2015 at 21:14

2 Answers 2


US Citizens do not need visas for tourism. They are granted a (usually) 180-day visitor permit upon arrival in Mexico. Just bring your passport.

If the purpose of your trip is business, immigration, etc, then you need to apply for a visa at your local Mexican consulate prior to travel to Mexico.

You can read more here.

When you arrive in Mexico (in Guadalajara), your wife could, in theory, go through the "Mexican citizens" line for immigration, but instead, I would suggest your family go together through the "Foreigners" line, and explain to the agent that she has dual citizenship.

When re-entering the US, your wife must present her US passport, as all US citizens are required to do.


As of March 1, 2010, U.S. citizens and other non-Mexican citizens need passports to enter Mexico. You do not need a passport to enter Mexico if you're a U.S. citizen who is visiting a port town for a day and have come by sea, such as on a cruise.

  • Care to rephrase your question? Just make sure everyone is carrying a passport at all time. Your situation does not fit that of the passport exception as you're not arriving by sea and have a multi-day trip. Jan 30, 2015 at 21:04
  • 2
    This does not answer the question, which is about visas.
    – Flimzy
    Jan 30, 2015 at 22:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .